We believe in Church growth! We believe a healthy Christian church should be a growing church.
When our Pastor, Jon Watts, began his ministry at the church in October 2003, he presented this four-fold vision for the church. He followed up this vision of growth by teaching how the early church grew and developed in the Book of Acts.
In 2012 Pastor Jon issued a pastors/leadership update in which he talked about his expanded four fold-vision for the next 5 years (see below)
GROWING UP IN MATURITY
We want every person in the church to be growing in their knowledge and understanding of God’s Word; growing in the fullness and experience of the Spirit; growing in their obedience to the Word as revealed by the Spirit in every aspect of their personal, daily lives.
- We want every person in the church to be growing in their personal relationship with Jesus and in their worship and prayer life.
- We want every person in the church to be growing towards maturity in their attitudes, love and care for others.
- We want every person in the church to discover their calling and gifts and to use those gifts to serve Jesus through the church and community.
- We want Rock Christian Centre to be a church where people experience the presence and power of God; where answers to prayer and miracles take place.
- We will provide regular, systematic and applied Bible teaching and preaching to feed the spiritual growth of the church.
- We will be open to the work of the Holy Spirit in every aspect of our church life and services. We will encourage Spirit-filled worship, praise and prayer where the use of the gifts of the Spirit are welcomed, embraced and used to build up the body of the church.
- We will challenge every person in the church to be growing in their relationship with Jesus and to be more Christ-like in their attitude to others.
- We will train and empower people to discover their gifts and calling and to use them in the service of Jesus for the blessing of others.
- We will provide opportunities for regular corporate prayer and intercession, and will celebrate together answers to prayer.
GROWING TOGETHER IN COMMUNNITY
- We want to provide a warm and welcoming environment where all people feel accepted, loved and part of the church family.
- We want every person in the church to feel they are part of a genuine loving and supportive community.
- We want to encourage every person to take an interest in others, care and pray for those around them rather than selfishly seeking their own interests.
- We want to create a network of Growth Groups across the city that become loving, caring, supportive, pastoral and evangelistic communities.
- We want people to be cared and prayed for through every season of life, supported through the tough times and rejoicing together in the good times.
- We will provide a welcoming church through the Welcome Team, Visitor Information, Refreshments, Hospitality, Newcomers Lunches etc
- We will train, encourage and exhort every person to be self-sacrificial in their love, care and compassion for other people.
- We will provide a growing network of Growth Groups across the city and train leaders and hosts to develop genuine loving communities of God’s people who can reach out to their family, friends and neighbours.
- We will provide a team of pastoral visitors available to visit and care for people during difficult times.
- We will ‘stand in the gap’ in prayer for our church family, our families and friends, our local communities, city and beyond. We will also celebrate together God’s goodness in answered prayer.
- We will share communion together as a whole church community at least once a month.
GROWING OUT IN EVANGELISM AND MISSION
- We want to see the whole church involved in reaching out to their friends, neighbours and colleagues.
- We want to see the spiritually deprived areas of Burngreave, the North and East of Sheffield and ultimately the whole city and beyond impacted with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- We want to see a community action programme that meets the needs of all types of people – practically, emotionally and spiritually.
- We want to be a sending church which is impacting the world for Jesus through prayer; financial support; and sending our people to make a difference in the nations.
- We will encourage and train the whole church to reach out to their friends, neighbours and colleagues.
- We will encourage every Growth Group to become a genuine community of God’s people with a heart and passion to reach people for Jesus.
- We will provide evangelistic opportunities and events for people of all age groups.
- We will resource and expand the evangelistic and mission opportunities through our children’s and youth groups.
- We will support, train and encourage people to be involved in world mission including prayer, financial support and commissioning people.
GROWING BIGGER IN NUMBERS
- We want to see hundreds of people from all nations, of all ages, from all backgrounds make Rock Christian Centre their home.
- We want to see large numbers of people respond to the life changing message of Jesus, be converted, baptised by immersion and added to the church.
- We want to see our church grow beyond the capacity of our current building as the Lord adds to our numbers.
- We want to see the network of Growth Communities expanding and multiplying throughout the city and beyond.
- We want to be in a position where we can plant healthy churches into communities in the North and East of Sheffield that have little, or no, evangelical community.
- We want to see, within the next five years, the funding raised to allow the purchase of our existing premises or a suitable alternative.
- We will do all we can to provide an environment where people of all nations, ages and backgrounds will feel welcomed into our church family.
- We will make every effort to encourage and train every member of the church to reach out to those around them with the life changing message of Jesus.
- We will endeavour to be a church that maintains a vision for growth which always strives for greater growth even when buildings are full.
- We will do all we can to train, encourage and release more Growth Group leaders and hosts to plant more Growth Communities.
- We will be open to God’s leading and direction for the planting of churches in the communities of North and East of Sheffield.
- We will actively and prayerfully seek God’s guidance regarding the potential purchase of a suitable venue for the church. We will continue to raise monies through the Building Fund for this purpose.