4 Elements of leadership
In Acts 20 Paul sets out some key principles for leadership in the church. What is God looking for in a leader?
- Humility (vs18-19) – Humility is a prerequisite for being a Christian and being a leader (Micah 6:8; Psalm 25:9). Humility is not weakness. It is about walking with God, knowing who we are and being secure in God. Walking humbly with God involves being obedient to Him.
- Passion (vs19 & 31) – Paul talks about shedding passionate tears. He says we should have no hesitation in our passion for the church, we should be passionate for the lost and for completing the task God has for us. What is your driving passion? Is it work, family, reputation making money, just surviving or is it Jesus?
- Compulsion of the Spirit (vs22-24) – Paul was empowered and directed by the Holy Spirit. He was compelled, warned and directed by the Holy Spirit. We need encounters with the Holy Spirit. Without Him, we are going nowhere. Are you longing for more of God?
- The call of the shepherd (vs28) – We need to shepherd ourselves and others. A shepherd needs to be able to lead their sheep to good pastures and to guard them.
- Shepherding yourself – Keep watch over yourselves (vs28). Are you feeding yourself in God? Are you guarding yourself from what will trap you and spoil your life?
- Shepherding others – How can we not care for other Christians? Do you love the lost? Are you feeding them the love of Jesus?