Lessons from the 3 wise men
Three hooks to hang the Christmas story of the wise men on:
- The truth they sought – we don’t know how many wise men there were or much about them. They took a step of faith to seek the truth about the prophesied King.
- The trouble they wrought – Herod was not fully Jewish. He was not a legitimate King of the Jews. He was disturbed to hear of someone from the line of David coming to be King of the Jews. Are you disturbed by Jesus as King of your life? Are you so close and yet so far like the chief priests and teachers of the law?
- The treasures they brought – they saw Jesus and bowed down and worshipped Him. They bowed first and then gave their gifts.
- Gold was a gift fit for a king.
- Frankincence represents the Lord as our high priest.
- Myrrh looked beyond the cradle to the cross.