The Gospel of Luke – Jesus is for everyone: Jesus astonishes people
Luke 4:31 – 5:11
Jesus had travelled from Nazareth to Capernaum (about 24 miles) and He began to teach and perform miracles. In each of these stories from Capernaum people reacted in astonishment to Jesus and what He says and does.
- Astonishing teaching (Luke 4:31-32) – Teaching was at the heart of Jesus’ ministry. He spoke with authority. He spoke the very words of God. The religious leaders of the day did not have authority, they could only teach and explain the Law and the Prophets. Their authority was the Old Testament. They did not have any authority in and of themselves. Jesus was full of the Holy Spirit (Luke 4:14) and His words were inspired and applied by the Holy Spirit. His words were living and active and sharper than the two edged sword and they cut people to the heart. Jesus’ words are still astonishing today. Will you allow the astonishing words of God to speak into your life today?
- Astonishing deliverance (Luke 4:33-37) – Jesus’ astonishing teaching provoked an astonishing response. As Jesus was teaching a demon began to react and could not keep quiet about who Jesus was. The people were all amazed (vs 36) that Jesus commanded unclean spirits to come out of people. Jesus showed He had a power and authority beyond anything they had experienced before. When God is at work astonishing things happen. Being a Christian should never be boring. We should never doubt the power of Jesus and His blood to deal with demons.
- Astonishing healing (Luke 4:38-44) – The people were astonished at the healing of Peter’s mother-in-law and all night Jesus was healing people and delivering them from demons. When he tried to leave in the morning they tried to prevent Him from doing so, but Jesus said He had to go and preach the good news of the kingdom in other places as well. Jesus said it was not all about the healing of the sick. His main purpose was to share the good news. The miracles came as a result of Jesus preaching the good news of God. When Jesus is at work the power of God is released and people are healed and delivered.
- Astonishing catch of fish (Luke 5:1-11) – The people were desperate to hear the word of God. How hungry are we to hear God speaking to us today? This time Jesus’ preaching results in a demonstration of His power. The catch of fish was not a coincidence. It showed Jesus’ command over the natural world. Jesus still has power over the natural world today. He is still a miracle working God today.
- How will you respond to the astonishing Jesus? – Jesus is still teaching, delivering and healing today. He is still performing miracles today. How will you respond today? Will you receive Him into your lives?