The Gospel of Luke – Jesus us for everyone: How do you handle stressful storms in your life?
Luke 8:22-25 ESV
We all dream of living a stress free life. We look forward to a time when we can be free of stress. The reality is we will all face stressful storms in our life. Faith rather than fear, trust.
- Stressful storms can come unexpectedly – It was a calm day when Jesus and the disciples got into the boat. Sometimes we feel life cannot get any better, but storms can come unexpectedly. This storm was so bad that the sailors and fishermen was afraid. Was this storm an attack from the devil. The boat was in danger of sinking and they were in danger of dying. Storms can change our life forever.
- Stressful storms can cause us to panic and forget – Although Jesus was with them they forgot all that He had taught them and panicked. They forgot their faith. They forgot:
- The promise of Jesus – “Let us go over to the othe side”. We should know we are on our way to the other side. Your life is in God’s hands. You can trust Jesus. Romans 8:28-39 – nothing can seperate us from the love of God.
- The presence of Jesus – Jesus never left them. He is present with us in, through and on the other side of the storm. It may sometimes seem that He is asleep, but He will never leave us or forsake you.
- The power of God – how easily do we forget the miracles God has already done in our lives. No storm is greater than Jesus. He has authority over everything.
- Jesus is the Prince of Peace – they could only see the storm. How often do we give in to “We are doomed”? How often do we lose our peace? Jesus is our peace (John 14:27).
- Jesus has the power to still the storm – the disciples had not fully realised who Jesus was. When you are going through a storm it matters who is with us. Stress levels greatly increase when you’re on your own. The disciples had Jesus. When He spoke, the storm was instantly calmed. Jesus has promised that He will never leave us or forsake us. He came me to be Immanuel – God with us. We need to know and understand God’s presence with us.
Fear dominates and paralyses our lives. Jesus calls us to have faith and not stress. We can know and experience Jesus with us in the storms of life.